Journal: Fear of Vulnerability


For today's journal activity, I want you guys to think about what Brene said in the video from earlier today. What are the fears in your life which keep you from being vulnerable and authentic with others? What keeps you from making those real connections with other people? I think for me, as a perfectionist type of personality, I often don't want people to think things about me that aren't true and I want to be seen as capable. I want people to see me as someone who can do it, who can get things done, who doesn't need help. But that's not true. No one can go through life without needing help, or having to ask for advice. In order to live fully I must live into the vulnerability of saying, "I can't do it on my own," and relinquish control. I have to admit that I'm not super-me, I'm just me, and that's good enough.

Do you feel like you are worthy of love and connection? Are you one of those "wholehearted" people, as Brene put it? I think the interesting thing about that is that all you have to do is believe it about yourself. And if you don't believe it, fake it till you make it, as they say. Even if you feel silly telling yourself you're beautiful and worthy of being loved, the more you say it to yourself, the easier it will be to believe.