Activity: Don't Wear Makeup


For some ladies, make-up is optional or we just don't find the need for it. For others, they couldn't even imagine leaving the house without it! My relationship with make-up is kind of odd as I find that I'm a mixture of both. All through high school I rarely wore makeup. Mostly because I was far too interested in sleeping to get up earlier than necessary in order to apply make up. But I also had this idea in my head that if I wore make-up and a boy started liking me, it could be because he liked how I looked with make-up, and if he saw me without the makeup, he wouldn't think I was as beautiful. So instead, I opted to wear no make-up and figured if a boy liked me, he would like how I look naturally, without any enhancement.

Nowadays my thoughts on makeup are a bit different. I see make-up as a part of my personal style-- the way I choose to express who I am through my outfit, hairstyle, make-up, and so on. I still wear very little make-up and my routine is usually no more than 5 minutes, if that. So, I suppose I'm still the lazy girl who still would rather sleep than look perfectly primped, but I enjoy putting some effort into the way I look as a means of expressing who I am.

However, I know not everyone has the same relationship with make-up. I was talking to one of the high school girls I mentored at camp last summer and her relationship with make-up was far different. She wore make-up to cover herself up, as a sort of veil to hide behind. She didn't believe she was beautiful, and feared that if she didn't have the make-up on, she would be ugly. It was heartbreaking to see such a beautiful young girl believe that she was ugly underneath the make-up.

Today I want you to think about your relationship with make-up. If you feel comfortable, don't wear makeup tomorrow. If you're used to wearing make-up, it can be really weird to go out without it, as if you're walking around without being fully dressed! If you think about it, though, do you really notice if someone is wearing make-up or not? So often we're so hyper aware of how others are viewing us, but in actuality everyone is usually too preoccupied with worrying about how others are viewing them to really notice something like the fact that you're not wearing make-up.