Journal: Write an apology letter


It's hard to admit you've wronged someone. It involves a lot of humility and can be really uncomfortable. Unlike the famous line from the movie Love Story, love does not mean never having to say your sorry. In fact, real love means having to say you're sorry a lot, usually. I think the more you do it, though, the better you get at it. I was very very bad at apologizing when I was a kid and teen. I feel like back then it was almost literally painful for me to apologize or ask forgiveness. I'm getting better at it, though.

For today's journal, I want you to write an apology letter so someone you've wronged. You don't have to give the letter to them if you don't want to. I often find that when I'm trying to communicate something difficult, it's much easier to write it out, than try to fumble through words verbally. I'm much better at writing than I am at talking, and I like being able to write several drafts and edit things so they are clear and mean what I want them to mean.

If you want to write more than one, go ahead! Love is all about reconciliation, and apologizing and asking forgiveness is the first step to reconciliation. Admitting you've hurt someone or done something wrong is hard, but ultimately, leaving the relationship broken by your wrongdoing is worse than just admitting you've hurt someone.